Near the villages Alagni and Patsideros of Heraklion, on a low hill, lies the deserted village of Rouma. We do not know when it was founded, but it is referred in the census of 1630. Rouma in the Cretan dialect means stream and is taken after the stream next to the village, where a spring with fresh water flows all year round.
The Monastery of the Holy Apostles is located at the position of the current winery Strataridakis. The monastery, now deserted served as the dependency of Sina Monastery. During the German Occupation it participated to the resistance activities against the Germans by supporting the rebel group of Manolis Bandouvas.
The village Pirgos at province Monofatsi hosts a two aisled church dedicated to St. Constantine and Helen, and St. George. The aisle of Saint George bears exquisite frescoes dating back from the 13th century, depicting mainly the life of Saint George. The aisle of Saint Constantine and Helen depicts scenes from the life of Saint Constantine.
The church of Zoodohos Pigi (Life Giving Spring) is located a few meters south of Lake Damania and next to the local cemetery. The church bears frescoes of 1399 and in its current form comes after restoration works that started in 1979, as it was ruined until then.
The church of Saint Anastasia is located in the southwestern part of the castle and was built, according to Gerola, on the ruins of two ancient cisterns. Due to its small size, the fragmentary iconographic program, dated to the middle of the 14th century, bears only a few frescoes.
The church of the Dormition of the Virgin Mary or Pano Panagia is located in the northeast part of the castle and bears very ruined frescoes of 1467 painted by Georgios Pelegris. The painter is probably the same with the homonymous painter who worked in Chandakas (today's Heraklion) from 1456-1487.
The temple ofPresentation of Mary or Kato Panagia is located near the southern part of the castle and is a small single-nave church built in two phases. The oldest, probably of the first half of the 14th century, belongs to its eastern part, and preserves little traces of frescoes of this period.
Next to the small dam of Kera in the village Ini we meet the picturesque church of Panagia Kera dedicated to Panagia Zoodochos Pigi (Life Giving Spring). The temple bears no frescoes inside. Next to the temple there is a small cave with a spring of water, which is considered holy.